Social networks occupy today an unprecedented centrality in developed societies. They are one of the most important components in the structure of social relations between people and organizations, through which they share values, expectations, interests and an immensity of flows that place them at a high level of complexity.
Knowing and understanding this complexity, as well as the social networks and the multiplicity of configurations that are inherent to them, is one of the biggest challenges of our times. Today, talking about social networks, puts us on a new paradigm in the social sciences. In the dynamics of social relations, the actors involved in it, develop their interactions driven by diverse logics and strategies of action, putting challenges in their analysis and understanding to social intervenors and the academic community. It is in this context that the 2nd edition of CIReS.
On June 1 and 2, 2017, the first edition of CIReS, held at the University of Évora, Portugal, brought together more than three hundred technicians, researchers, students and a multiplicity of specialists in the fields of social network analysis and social intervention, promoting an area of formal and informal sharing of work, methodologies and strategies for action.
Taking into consideration the success of the 1st CIReS, the Organizing Committee decided, in a logic of consolidation of the event, to start with the development of the second edition.
So, with the completion of the 2nd CIReS is intended to continue the debate between researchers, technicians and specialists who develop their activity in the context of social networks, whether in their study or in the design and implementation of social and organizational intervention projects.
It is intended with this event, to know, discuss, deepen and disseminate the dynamics and practices of using social networks in social and organizational intervention projects, as well as to discuss, analyze and disseminate experiences and projects based on the theory and methodology of social network analysis.
The purposes are the following:
- Promote the creation and strengthening of networks of cooperative work between social networking analysts.
- Provide the possibility to students of various study cycles, to present, meet and discuss work in the various fields of social networks.
- Disseminate work done by researchers and technicians who have social networks as a framework.
- Publicize work done by researchers from other research centres and universities in the various fields of social networks.
- To deepen the theoretical and methodological discussion about the analysis of social networks.
- Disseminate tools / methodologies for studying / applying social network analysis to various objects.
- Discuss trends and technical and methodological challenges of social network analysis.
- Discuss theoretical and methodological trends and challenges of social network analysis.
- To deepen the theoretical and methodological discussion about social intervention projects based on social networks.
- Discuss practices of social and organizational intervention.
- Create synergies of cooperation between the various participants in the 2 nd CIReS.
Analysts and researchers of social networks
Social intervention technicians
Students from various scientific areas
Teachers of the various levels of education
Technicians of social organizations (companies, NGOs, municipalities, etc.).
CICS.NOVA.UÉvora – Interdisciplinary Centre of Social Sciences Department of Sociology of the University of Évora